Effective softscape design complements the hardscape features of a property to create outdoor spaces that combine functionality with tranquil beauty.
Softscape is a term that describes the organic elements of a landscape, such as soil, plants, and trees. Hardscape is the brick and mortar aspect of landscaping, including stone walkways, retaining walls, water features, and patios.
Skillful blending of the two concepts is how Koch & Associates creates livable, stunning landscapes for residential clients throughout the Bay Area. We view softscape design as a colorful work of art, like a painting, enhanced by the beautiful hardscape framework.
THE COMPONENTS OF A SOFTSCAPE DESIGN AND BUILD PROJECT
Detailed planning is the foundation of a successful landscaping project. Here are the considerations Koch & Associates takes into account when devising a softscape design and build project:
- Grading. To prepare a site for planting or hardscape, we usually need to grade the site to direct water away from homes or other structures and minimize erosion. Grading also contours areas for planting or hardscape. For instance, a patio needs a level base of soil before pouring concrete or laying stone.
- Drainage. While grading is the primary way to control water runoff, we sometimes need to employ additional methods of drainage. Incorporating swales and creek beds provides natural drainage. In other cases, we might install pipes to carry water away.
- Soil preparation. Readying the ground for landscaping involves leveling to avoid standing water, removal of existing vegetation, and adding topsoil, compost, or amendments as needed.
- Irrigation. Softscape design also includes basic maintenance components such as irrigation and lighting. Koch & Associates installs cutting-edge watering systems that conserve water but still enable a landscape to thrive.
- Plant installation. Our staff assists clients in choosing plants according to factors such as texture, color, size, and hardiness. Then we install and arrange them to be aesthetically pleasing.
CALL US FOR EXPERT SOFTSCAPE DESIGN
Koch & Associates is a full-service landscape company. We offer expert softscape design and build services, but are happy to collaborate with other landscape contractors to create the ideal outdoor space for you.
Our landscaping team serves the Bay Area and homeowners in the communities of Campbell, Cupertino, Los Altos, Los Altos Hills, Los Gatos, Menlo Park, Milpitas, Mountain View, Morgan Hill, Palo Alto, Redwood City, San Jose, San Mateo, Santa Clara, and Saratoga.
Let Koch & Associates assist you with your softscape design and build project. Contact us today to schedule a consultation at your home.
3230 Darby Com, Fremont, CA 94539
111 N. Market St #300, San Jose, CA 95113
Koch & Associates did a great job for us. They were very helpful during the design process and created the attractive and low maintenance yard that we wanted. The hard working crew was efficient and did good work on everything from demolition, to grading and drainage, to concrete work, fencing, lighting and all the final landscaping.
They started on the day that they said they would start, and finished on the day they said they would finish. I would highly recommend their work to anyone.